Sunday, March 9, 2008

Kenn's Favorite Authors: Clive Barker





Hey and yo and wassup . . .

Britain gave birth to some of my faves in music, movies, and, of course, the written word. With this fellow from the U.K., I will say that the height of "horror" fiction over the last 25 years was reached -- and that's only part of it -- check out his artwork and his movies, too, if you, like me, like the good stuff. Here we will get into his writing mostly, as he is without doubt one of my favorite authors. Let's get to it.

For me, as with many fans, it all began in the mid-80s with The Books of Blood. Each of the first three volumes were "Oh-My-God" great. I was blown away. To this day some of the best short-story fiction -- horror or otherwise -- can be found in these bloody books. The next three collections, were more Books of Blood, yet released in hardcover here in the U.S. as The Inhuman Condition and In the Flesh. Again, these blew me away, though I guess I started getting used to it. The guy was so good, you expected to be blown away and were not disappointed.

Then we had Clive's first novel, and it was quite worth the wait. The Damnation Game is a worthy read for all of you who'd like to sink your teeth into something longer.

No comments: